Wednesday, November 18, 2009

To everything, turn, turn, turn, there is a season, turn, turn, turn

All of the sudden, Jack eats dinner.

For anyone that has ever been around him, this is a huge accomplishment. He is one hell of a picky eater. I totally realize that this is the pot calling the kettle black here, really. I do. But still, I have to deal with it day in and day out and IT IS EXHAUSTING.

Here is what he eats: fruit, carbohydrates, and dairy. (A few months ago, as I was talking to someone else about this, he added 'I like junk too!') That leaves a few LARGE categories that he'll have nothing to do with including meat and vegetables. He also hates peanut butter, pizza, mac and cheese, and all normal kids food. Plus, as anyone that knows me knows, we don't eat any condiments around here. So REALLY it is just fruit, carbs, and dairy. Every day.

So this is what he eats at EVERY MEAL: some sort of bread with jelly or honey on it, some kind of fruit, and either yogurt or cheese. Occasionally substitute the sandwich for like, crackers.

Can you imagine?

So, where is the breakthrough here? Lately, I make him some variation of this, put it out for dinner, and the child eats it. All. With no arguing, no whining about what is there, no complaints about the kind of bread. He just sits there and eats. IT IS THE LITTLE THINGS, PEOPLE. Trust me.

And, yes, we've tried the hard line. Several times. And yes, we could try harder, I know that. We could demand more of him, fight with him more. We could go through another week of him throwing up at the table every night, everyone yelling, tears. But yesterday, I put corn on the child's plate and he didn't cry, he just took the three bites I asked of him. Last week he tried buttered noodles. Today I put different bread in his lunch and asked him if he ate it. He said "Yep." I asked him if he liked it, and he said "Not really, but I ate it all." Now, who are you and what have you done with my son?

While I'd love to sigh now and feel accomplished, at least a little bit, I have to tell you, so far, Sam eats even less and even fewer items than Jack ever has. So, let the games begin, again.

3 comments:

Aziletx said...

Is he even eating the bread "with the dots on it"?

Joe and Shannon said...

Wow! I can understand why you are so happy about this! 3 years ago, I would've had no clue.

Sarah, Blake, Evan, Julia said...

Wow - what makes them all of the sudden change? I can't imagine. Good luck with Sam! At least you might see a tiny pinpoint of light at the end of the tunnel?