Monday, August 25, 2008

Moving

I am almost positive you have heard me bitch and moan on here before about moving and how much I hate it and how much we do it. I am so sorry, but I am just going to have to revisit this wonderful topic.

We move all the time (or "all the day" as Jack would call it) and I am so so so tired of it.

If you count even the small moves, we have moved 1000 times in the last 7 minutes. Ok, ok, we have moved seven times since 2002, when we originally moved to Baltimore.

The main problem with this particular move is that now all of our stuff is back in one place, and we have to deal with it all. Twelve thousands pounds worth of junk, all in boxes and boxes in the garage to sort through.

When we moved from Stafford, Virginia to Japan, the military put the fear of God in us that if we had too much weight then we would end up paying for it ourselves. Thus, we put a lot of our stuff in storage for three years. Let's just say this, if you can live without it for three years YOU DO NOT IN ANY WAY NEED IT. That is just the bottom line. There are a few things from Virgina that I am glad to have back, like a weed eater. Out of five thousand pounds worth of stuff, that is all I can think of that I am glad to see again.

A lot of this stuff that was in storage for three years was wedding gifts. And I am VERY grateful to all the wonderful wedding gifts we got, but I just want to know what to do with all of it. What does someone with two children under school age need with Tiffany candlesticks? If I have them out, they will just get broken. What am I going to do with fifteen more blankets? We already have more than anyone I know. An electric carving knife? Been married for five years, have never even considered cooking my own turkey or whole chicken and am still not thinking it is in my near future. The question is what to do with this kind of stuff. I mean, one day, I will probably need it. But that day is far off in the future. Do I really look like the kind of person who will have a nicely decorated dining room table with Tiffany candlesticks one day? I think not. I am lucky if my kitchen table, the one that still has scratches in it from people playing quarters on it as well as both paint and pen marks, has enough free space on it for someone to eat there.

So far, we have taken a huge mini-van full of stuff to Goodwill. Keith said the guy sort of gave him a look for having so much stuff to donate. Whatever, just TAKE IT AWAY FROM US SO I NEVER NEED TO MOVE IT AGAIN. Because people, this isn't over. They are saying we will be here for between eight months and two years. So, see you next year, bitching about moving again.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Totally understand. Our garage still looks like a bomb exploded in it and I can only dream of putting one car (it is a two car garage) in it one day. AND then their is our bedroom. That is important but I don't know where to put it so throw it in our bedroom. So we have been here 3 months, I am totally done unpacking boxes, and I still have our bedroom and garage filled with boxes. Plus most of it is Brian's stuff, so I don't know what to do with it or where to put it and it isn't like he has time to go through it. Sigh, I understand the moving thing.
Jami McCreary