Wednesday, January 14, 2009

To be or not to be Pur-fet

Jack is a perfectionist. So much so that it can be problematic. For example, when he wrote this version of the ABCs, I could not tell him that letters J, L, N and S were backwards or he would have taken it down off the refrigerator angrily and said it is not "puuuur-fet". He likes things that are Pur-fet a lot better than things that have any mistakes at all (lets not get into the deeper discussion of how pronouncing perfect without the c is also imperfect). This obviously causes conflict since his two favorite things in life are (1) creating art and (2) writing things. When you are four you are going to make mistakes when you try to do either of these things
So, I am in the bath (it is wonderful to have a four-year-old, I can take a bath and leave him alone with full knowledge that he is unlikely to flood the toilet or write on walls or worse even... run out the front door) and Jack comes in. I knew he was working on something.

"I am making a birthday card for Poppy"

"OK, good idea"

"I can't do it Pur-fet"

"Well, that is ok, just do your best and he'll still like it!"

"No, I CAN'T SPELL Birthday!!!!!!!!!!"

"Ok, I'll spell it for you"

"Hold on"

He brings me paper and a marker and I write it down. He exits stage right and I don't see him again til after my bath 10 minutes later.

"Did you finish your card?"

"Yes, but it is not good. I wrote the letters right but it doesn't look pur-fet I have to do it again."

I found them this morning. I just LOVE the evolution that you can see in the "Before I asked mom" version and the after :-)




No comments: